Friday, September 18, 2009

How to buy a house in Mexico

People think we're crazy. Mostly, I think, they're right. Sometimes it takes a long time to see that there's a gray area, where they're right, but you (we) are right, too. My husband said to me some many months (more than 2 years) ago, "I need a hobby" and I told him to redo the backyard if he suddenly had all this energy and ambition to commit to a hobby. "No," with a thoughtful glance to the ceiling and his index finger balancing his chin, "I found this cute little house in Mazatlan Mexico on a website called "buyinmazatlan.com". WTF? I thought such silly thoughts at that moment-like "OOOOO KAY, so, what are we gonna have for dinner?". I was in for such a crazy ride (even though I had no clue in those last moments before my future was -already decided-revealed to me.) He had already planned the first reconnaissance trip--we flew to Mazatlan on a Saturday morning very early (8am I think), landed in LAX, a short lay-over and then on to Mazatlan, about 3 hours, arriving at 4pm local time (one hour later time change). The plan was to meet the realtor, see the house, see a couple others so we could compare, go back to the hotel-(La Siesta-a whole blog about that later). Have dinner and drinks. Talk about it to death. Wake up. Go see it again--(ok, I had no idea where it was, but my husband, with his innate homing-pigeon compass walked us more than 10 blocks in completely new territory right back to the house, approaching it from the opposite direction -see pic above). "This could be ours, if we just had the courage to go for it". We walked back to the hotel, drank the best margaritas I've had in Mazatlan, got our taxi to the airport. We got home at 11pm on Sunday. We were gone and back in a little more than 24 hours. We even caught the Oscars in LAX. We had a lot to talk about in the next days.....

No comments:

Post a Comment