Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Jesus...you're big!

One of the few truly indelible memories of my life will always be the "reveal" of this unexpected and breath-stealing moment. Our local friend got us inside this still-being-built church on a high hill in central Mazatlan. Our local friend led us into this domed room, the Crucifixion was hidden behind the blue curtain. She stepped up to the base, and yanked a rope. We were stunned into silence. It lasted a long time. I felt tiny. Our friend in the lower left-hand corner is a graphic representation of my own self-awareness at this unveiling. A beautiful, terrible, mysterious and redemptive "quality" fell over the room. The pews hadn't yet been built-the room was still cavernous, but what struck me was that Jesus was already here and HE WAS BIG. I think if I had come into this church as a little kid for the first time, I might have been scared shitless by this huge, overwhelming, bloody, tortured, dying man on a cross. One thing is for sure, I will never, ever forget it. Now, when we went to the lower level, there was a collection of the various Latin American Incarnations of the Blessed Virgin...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment